I just returned from the annual meeting of the AAAS, where I was thoroughly impressed by the focus on science communication. Inspired by that experience, I’m posing this writing exercise to my scientist colleagues and friends.
Scientists: Fill in the blanks below with language that would leave a stranger so interested they want to learn more. Post your responses in the comments to this blog.
1. My science is about ______(ten words max).
2. I became interested in my science when ______(ten words max).
3. I stay intrigued by my science because ______(ten words max).
4. Those of us who work on my science are stumped by _____(ten words max).
5. Here’s a link to an image that shows my science. My caption for how this image depicts my science is the following: ______________(ten words max).